Blocked drains and clogged gutters can cause a lot of headaches. They are the main culprits for many cases of water surface flooding. It helps to know a few tips that can help when it comes to preventing this form of flooding.
The Cost of Water Damage
Before we move on to the tips for preventing flooding, let’s take a look at how much water damage can cost you. The average cost of repairing water damage is $2,797, and it can be as high as $4,573. Do properly asses the cost of the damage to your home.
After that, you should get in touch with contractors that perform water damage cleanup here in Denver, CO or any other location. They can give you an estimate of how much the repair will cost, though now you have some idea of what to expect.
The good news is that if you take preventive steps, the cost or repair can go down substantially. In fact, you might not suffer any water damage at all.
How to Control Flooding from Surface Water
Here are some steps that you can take to prevent flooding from surface water:
- Leaves are the most common materials that end up clogging gutters and drainpipes. If there are trees near your house, try to trim the branches that are near the roof and the gutters to lessen the volume of leaves that end up in the drain system.
- Clean the gutters and drainpipes regularly. Cleaning it twice each year should be enough, but if you can do it more often, then that’s okay.
- Check if the ground within a 10-feet area around your house slopes away from the structure. This is important so that the water does not accumulate around the house and drains away.
- The downspouts, which are the exit of the rainwater collected by the gutter from the roof, should extend by at least 10 feet away from the house. Make sure that it goes beyond the point where the ground is sloping away from the home. Just be careful that the water is not discharged on an adjacent property.
- Get your roof check yearly to make sure that there is no damage or missing shingles which can cause leaks and damage to your home interior.
- If your property is at risk of flooding because of another property that is on higher ground, then consider building a wall which can divert the water as nit comes down.
- Try getting some preventive landscaping which is designed to prevent flooding.
These are just some of the tips that you can try to prevent flooding in your property.
Flooding from surface water is preventable. You can clearly see where the water will come from. It’s a different story if the flooding comes from other sources. It would be more difficult and in some cases impossible to prevent flooding from rising river water, for example.
For cases like that, you might have to make some major changes to your property like raising it so you can avoid costly damage.